If you're not sure what exactly it is that's so bad about Palm Oil, you need to take a look at the list below (thanks Friends of the Earth):
- Demand for palm oil is the most significant cause of rainforest loss in Malaysia and Indonesia.
- Palm oil plantations destroy biodiversity and are associated with human rights violations and worker exploitation.
- The industry could drive the orang-utan to extinction within 12 years.
- In Indonesia, the area of land occupied by palm oil plantations has doubled in the last 10 years. This threatens species, such as the Orang-Utan & Sumatran Tiger, with extinction.
- Serious environmental pollution is associated with palm oil processing.