Image by a.prakharevich via FlickrI've just gotten back from the fantastic Small Towns Conference in Kaiapoi. One of the speakers was Peter Kenyon - a social capitalist and community enthusiast from Australia. He had some incredibly inspiring stories about successful small town development, I am so excited about helping to put some of his ideas into action in Mataura.
If you are looking for some great projects to get your community humming take a look at this awesome list from Peter's Bank of I.D.E.A.S website:
- Establish a Community Garden
- Establish a Community Newspaper focusing on local assets, people, and positive and inspiring stories
- Create a local project fund where 3 or more neighbours can apply for street/neighbourhood projects/events
- Hold a Community Reflection Day to give residents an opportunity to think about where they have come from and where they want to go
- Encourage local organisations to adopt a street or flowerbed and to care for its beautification and apprearance
- Instigate a local business awards programme to highlight and celebrate local businesses
- Establish a Community Bank with all profits going back to community projects
- Start up a Community Physical Fitness Programme eg. 'Push Ups in the Park'
- Support local schools to discover, study and write about local history
- Establish a Community Cultural Foundation that encourages locals to contribute and become 'Friends of the Foundation' to develop arts and culture within the community